Food is starting to taste better. I’m serious.
After more than two weeks of no meat, dairy or eggs- I’m starting to get into a groove. The more I get used to this diet, the more I realize that I could easily live this type of lifestyle for the rest of my life. I feel healthier (lost 10 pounds), and I’ve noticed a spike in energy.
I keep getting the same reactions when people talk to me about my new diet. So I’ve decided to write a few of them down. Here are the most common:
1. “How are you feeling?” My answer: Great!
2. “How are you getting your protein?” Everything I eat has protein in it!
3. “How are you getting your calcium?” I’m getting at least 1000mg/day- so yes, plenty!
4. Laughter. I laugh with them…?
5. “Did you lose a bet?” Nope Just trying something new
6. “I could never go a month without meat- I would die!” Pretty sure that’s not true. You would be surprised how easy it actually is
7. “You must be hungry all the time!” Quite the opposite actually. I’m eating more often now. And most of the time I’m having bigger portions
8. “You’re crazy…” Am I…?
9. “That’s really unhealthy man, I hope you’re supplementing lots.” I have a Vega Protein smoothie every morning- mixed with fruits, nuts, almond milk, chia seeds, hemp hearts etc. I’ve been taking a Vital Elements pill from Preferred Nutrition as well. But that’s it- everything else I get from my food!
10. “What do you eat!!?” Real food
11. Aren’t you getting tired of eating the same things?” I eat something new everyday. Food has been tasting better!
Food really is tasting better (in case you didn’t believe me). When you eat whole foods without lots of sauces, oils, pre-mixed seasonings etc, it’s amazing how good food actually tastes. For example, I made the following soup by only adding water!
Favourite things I ate this week:
Vegetable and Barley Soup
3 small potatoes, peeled and cubed
2 large sweet potatoes
2 leeks cut into round slices
2 baby bok choy
3 carrots, roughly chopped
5 celery sticks, cut onto chunks
1 cup of dried pearl barley
A couple handfuls of spinach
Enough water to cover
Salt, pepper, and spices to taste
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 bay leaves
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 tablespoons dried oregano
1 tablespoon salt
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 green bell peppers, chopped
1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
Handful of mushrooms, chopped
2 jalapeno peppers, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
3 cans whole peeled tomatoes, crushed
1/4 cup chili powder
1 tablespoon ground black pepper
1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained
1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained
1 (15 ounce) can black beans
1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn
Tempeh (grilled with a touch of Sesame Oil)
For anyone looking for a mini challenge- try eating a plant-based diet for one day. Surely you can do that. To make it easier, try doing it on a weekend or a less busy day.
I only have 9 days left of eating like a Vegan. So how will I eat when the calendar flips to March 1? I will elaborate on that in my next post…