An easy to make sour cream recipe using cashews! Even if you’re not vegan, this is delicious!
Rich and tangy, this vegan sour cream is the perfect complement to my favourite vegan chili or any Mexican entrée. Be sure to soak the cashews (either overnight or using the quick-soak method) before you begin.
Makes 2 cups | Soak time 1-8 hrs | Prep time 5 mins
- 1 ½ cups raw cashews, soaked
- ¾ cup water
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- Scant ½ tsp fine sea salt
- Place cashews in a bowl and cover with water. Soak overnight or for 8 hours if you have the time. For a quick-soak method, pour boiling water over the cashews and soak for 1 hour. Rinse and drain.
- Place the drained cashews in a high-speed blender.
- Add the water, lemon, vinegar and salt. Blend on high until super smooth. You might have to stop to scrape down the blender now and then or add a touch more water to get it going.
- Transfer into a small, air-tight container and chill in the fridge. The cream will thicken up as it chills. The cream will keep in the fridge for about one week. You can also freeze it for up to one month. I like to freeze it in silicone mini muffin cups. Once solid, transfer the cups into a freezer-safe zip bag for easy grab and go portions.
Nutritional value (per serving): Calories 484; Carbs 26g; Fat 36g; Protein: 15g
*This recipe was originally published on ohsheglows.com
More Inspiration: Try the cashew sour cream on these awesome green taco wraps!
Author: Angela Liddon is a vegan food blogger, New York Times /ITC bestseller for her Oh She Glows/ITC cookbooks and Taste Canada award winner. Her award-winning blog ohsheglows.com/ITC features over 500 healthy recipes.