A healthy diet is not just about good food choices – it is also about getting enough fluid. Water is an essential nutrient for life. The human body is made up of almost 70% water.
Fluid requirements are individual and depend on the amount of activity you do. The average person needs about 2-3 litres per day. This amount goes up with activity.
Here are some tips to stay hydrated:
- Start your day with a tall glass of water (before your morning coffee).
- Carry a measured water bottle with you all day – and drink it! Keep track of how much you drink.
- Drink water before, during and after exercise.
- After intense exercise make sure to include food with your fluid. This will help with rehydration.
- Add lemon, lime, frozen berries or cucumbers to your water to add flavour. Avoid sugary drinks and energy drinks with added caffeine.
Drinking water is the best thing you can do for your body. It helps detoxify and gives you energy.
Have a nutrition question? Ask a Dietitian: firstname.lastname@example.org