This recipe uses our favourite Plant Powered Queso recipe mixed with cooked macaroni. It’s a delicious accompaniment to any dish. Spicy, creamy and totally cheesy, you won’t believe this queso is vegan and veggie based!
Plant Powered Queso
Inspired by: Clean Food Dirty Girl’s 5- Minute Instant Pot Cheesy Sauce
2 cups peeled and chopped potatoes (or about 3 medium-sized potatoes)
1 cup chopped carrots (1 large carrot)
1 small onion, chopped
3-4 cloves fresh garlic, peeled and roughly chopped
1 Teaspoon ground turmeric, or 1 Tablespoon chopped turmeric root if available
2 cups vegetable stock or water
1/2 cup soaked and drained raw cashews (or substitute 1/4 cup sunflower seeds or and 1/4 cup ground flax seed)
1/2 cup nutritional yeast
1-2 teaspoons hot sauce or 1/4 teaspoon cayenne powder
1 teaspoon salt
1. Soak cashews in hot water for 15-20 minutes, drain, rinse and set aside.
2. Cook the veggies, garlic and turmeric in stock or water in a medium saucepan at a medium simmer until carrots are no longer crunchy, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat, let cool slightly and carefully add stock and cooked veggies to a blender (or leave in the pot if using a hand immersion blender).
3. Add soaked cashews, nutritional yeast, hot sauce and salt, blend until smooth, 1-2 minutes. 4. Carefully remove the blender lid if the sauce is still hot. Adjust seasoning to taste and enjoy this veggie sauce that tastes great on pasta, broccoli or on top of your Mexican bowl.
5. Store this sauce in a tightly sealed jar in the fridge for up to a week or in the freezer for a quick anytime meal or snack.
It can also be made in an Instant Pot, by adding all ingredients in the pot, set to manual for 5 minutes, with a quick steam release. Cool slightly then blend until smooth.
4 cups of dried macaroni pasta
2 cups of Plant Powered Queso
- Cook your macaroni in a pot of boiling water and strain out the water.
- Add macaroni back into pot and stir in Plant Powered Queso until hot and serve!
Calories: 356, Fat: 6g, Carbs: 62g, Protein: 15 g