October is Healthy Workplace Month in Canada, which serves as a handy reminder to check in with our own workplace habits.
So before you sneeze on that stapler, hunch over your keyboard or double-dip in the office salsa stash, check out these helpful tips:
- Stay hydrated. More than just an excuse to engage in water-cooler chat, remembering to drink enough water throughout your workday will help keep you alert and reduce the urge to seek out your co-worker’s unhealthy candy stash when the 3PM cravings kick in.
- Don’t let work be a pain in the neck. Holding your neck and upper shoulders in an awkward, strained position can lead to pain, muscle tightness and tenderness. If your job requires you to talk on the phone a lot, try using a headset or a shoulder cradle to prevent tension and strain.
- Disinfect your work tools. Your office mouse, keyboard and phone can literally make you sick. These commonly used objects can be a haven for germs, so make them less hospitable with regular cleaning. And of course, wash your hands regularly throughout the day.
- Don’t be a hero. Your work is important, but so is your health (and the health of your co-workers). If you’re sick, stay home. You can always take Cold & Flu Rescue with Ester-C to help ease your symptoms and get you back to work faster.
- Move it. When you’re concentrating on a project, it can be easy to let the hours slip by while you sit at your desk. But your body wasn’t designed to spend eight hours or more bent over a keyboard. Remember to get up and move around regularly. Or see if an exercise ball chair or standing desk works better for you.
- Don’t stress. It may be easier said than done, but finding a way to deal with or eliminate stress in the workplace can go a long way to improving your health both on and off the job. Try adding a stress-reducing supplement to your daily routine, head to the yoga studio before the office, or go for a walk at lunch.
- Go on vacation. Sometimes, getting away from work is just what you need to enjoy a more productive and rewarding work life. Recharging your batteries with a vacation can reduce stress and give you a new perspective on your job when you return.
More Inspiration: Nutrition at home is important too. Check out this article on healthy eating for the whole family!
This article is featured partner content from our friends at Sisu Vitamins!