Skin care tips for winter
The winter can often create harsh effects on your skin. Try these tips to stay hydrated and fresh.
Part of my regular running routine is following a skin care checklist before heading outdoors. During the winter my skin would often get dry, chapped and cause premature aging. As someone who enjoys running often in the natural elements it was important to learn about good skin health.
I winterize my skin to keep it protected and looking its best by following these five tips:
Use sunscreen SPF 35. I actually wear sunscreen all year round to keep my skin wrinkle free.
- Cleanse, moisturize and apply sunscreen.
- Exfoliate your skin once a week or twice a week to get rid of dead skin cells.
- Drink plenty of water to keep your skin hydrated.
- Wear sunglasses to protect eyes and skin.
I usually cover my hands with gloves to keep from getting chapped.
In a recent interview, Kelly Muciy, co-founder of Zyderma® shared her skincare tips.
“Christine’s skincare routine is the perfect example of how to care for your skin all year long.”
Standard daily routine: CLEANSE, MOISTURIZE, PROTECT.
Cleansing with a gentle product is recommended whether you work-out, wear make-up or none of the above. Throughout the day our skin is exposed to environmental microorganisms and the effects of the elements so it’s important to literally wash away the day.
Moisturizing is an important step especially during the winter months when the air is cold and dry, thus pulling moisture from your skin. This causes your skin to become dry and flakey, even crack if you have problematic skin. The build-up of dry skin cells can block pores and contribute to breakouts (face, back, chest, etc.) and can make other skin issues inflamed as well. Gentle exfoliation once per week is a great way to keep skin looking fresh but also ensures that your other products and treatments will be able to function properly.
Protecting your skin with a sunscreen is a wise move. Athletes experience the elements to the MAX; and, while most people will wear sunscreen during the warmer months, many forget to apply it in the winter too. This is a mistake as UVA and UVB rays can damage the skin and contribute to the risk skin cancer and premature aging at any time of the year.
As mentioned, winter months can wreak havoc on our skin causing issues to appear and flare-up. Dry, dehydrated and irritated skin needs extra TLC and protection. Incorporating additional products or swapping them out for something seasonally specific can make a world of difference to how you feel.
For instance, if you normally use a cleanser with harsh ingredients like salicylic acid, or benzyl peroxide, reduce the number of times per week you use it or swap out for a gentle, hydrating cleanser. Easily add products such as Zyderma’s Clarifying Cream to help lock in needed moisture and to cleanse away the presence of environmental microorganisms that can contribute to the appearance of reddened and/or irritated skin. Incorporating Zyderma HS into your daily skin care routine supports a healthy appearance by reducing the impact of skin straining microbes. Look to hydrating serums and heavier moisturizers for skin that is prone to extreme dryness and cracking.
A hydrating and protective routine: CLEANSE, SERUM, ZYDERMA, MOISTURIZE, PROTECT.
The goal for anyone is ultimately clear and healthy-looking skin. This may take time, so be patient and be consistent. Set up your body for success with these simple and effective tips:
- Run a humidifier to keep adequate moisture in the air
- Avoid long, hot showers that will dry out skin
- Drink plenty of water and eat fresh nourishing food
- Keep hands off face and other problem areas to avoid spreading bacteria
- Regularly cleanse and treat sports equipment that may harbour bacteria
- Choose moisture wicking clothing for best performance
- Cleanse & dry skin with clean clothes and towels
- Use a gentle cleanser without harsh ingredients
- Zyderma® HS Clarifying Cream, as directed (works under make-up and SPF)
- Sleep on clean sheets & pillow cases (change weekly at least)
- Wear an SPF to protect skin from premature aging and skin cancer.
Discover More: Check out this article on DIY alternative skin care hacks using natural ingredients.